Beautiful See you laters

 This weekend we said "See you later" to my Aunt Kathy. 

She was a pivotal person in my early life and as such she had asked me many years ago to write her a Yagoogly. I thought that maybe, she was just trying to compliment me on my early musings and writing because I wrote down my feelings and thoughts. It was practice for bigger exploits and she meant it. When I went to see her in the hospital she told me she was dying and that I still needed to do her Yagoogly. So on the weekend, I delivered it. It was hard. I went up to the podium with eyes brimming full of tears from memories flooding back as Rhonda-Lee spoke and I thought, how the hell am I going to do this. As I got up there I just started to talk. It wasn't so bad until the end of the speech. The actual goodbye was the hardest part. Telling her I love her and that I hope wherever she is, she knows she is loved. All seemed too much. There were laughs that I didn't expect because things like getting a tattoo with my aunt, running a marathon with my aunt or meditating, yoga, dance parties and of course, skinny dipping were all normal for us. She was a free spirit and I didn't realize that that kind of stuff was not normal in other families and ultimately "so her". experiences that we will never experience again because she genuinely was one-of-a-kind. That brought the tears flooding and when I looked up to look for Doug to ground myself, he was also red-faced with tears streaming down. It was all too much so I sat down and waited for the video to do the talking. It was the best I could with a memorial video. Fuck it was hard to make but ultimately I made it for her, with all of the love, stories, and good times in mind. It was my send-off to her and it was the best that I could do. 

Now it is navigating the world without Aunt Kathy and my mom.... the world feels weird without them... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closer to the truth

Emotional work and christmas diatribes

finding out I am an IVF baby.