nightmare

Toss and turn in my sleep,
from all the dreams you steal and keep.
I know not what you do with them,
within my slumber they are nightmares of men.

I awake with a jolt,
and the instinct to bolt.
Yet I sit upright and try,
feeling terrified I remember why.

I remain in my bed,
bleary-eyed and filled with dread.
What scared me the most?
my dreams the uninhibited host.

In them I see what could've been.
Things I wished I had never seen.
There he was, our child in hand.
Her reaching out to me with a look of demand.

behind him I saw all of his conquests,
past, present and future west's.
I try to run away from this,
this view I completely dismiss.

I feel better knowing it was just lies
no more panic, fury and sighs.
I just have to breathe and start my day right,
my only concern is if it will come back this next night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closer to the truth

Emotional work and christmas diatribes

finding out I am an IVF baby.