platitudes of time

 Time heals all wounds...

So much anecdotal bullshit. Time doesn't heal wounds. People grow, but the wounds remain. We just learn to live with them. I am realizing that the trauma of all the things I have gone through in my life is like exploding paradoxes. They happen but there is no clear understanding of what I have just gone through and they blow up like fireworks. Almost instantaneous and with very little warning. I am thinking back to when the boys came into the world and how it was life-altering, but I did not know just how altering it would be. I knew I would love them but it is so much more than that. It is a paradigm shift. Like all of these exploding paradoxes, they are good and bad. Well, I am going through another. With my mother and her diagnosis. She is okay until she is not. When she is not it is world-shattering and I feel frozen with helplessness. So I ramp it up into overdrive. I go a million miles a minute in my mind doing all the things. This has always been the way I respond to these moments. When Jim was injured I washed walls and clean his apartment top to bottom. When my grandfather died I cleaned and cleaned. When mom first got diagnosed... I went into hyperdrive with action and purpose. It was a means of not thinking about what was happening. I have done it now, once again. My mother is struggling with something and I cannot give myself time to process it because time does not heal wounds, it heightens them. It allows my brain to contemplate the horrors and the struggles. The worst-case scenarios that I should not be thinking of, and yet, my mind focuses that way to plan and prepare for what could potentially be. Time is a hindrance. I don't want to contemplate all of these things, however, when I try to avoid them my brain in its slumber relives every gory horror it can come up with. I am paralyzed with the weight of it and yet there are moments in those dreams that I see my mother for who she is. She is a fighter that is for damn sure. She will not just take this. She won't. That is not her and I come by it honestly. I have never backed down from a challenge and neither will she. Time does not heal wounds... that is just not the case. These traumas are carried. Woven together like a cloak, covering every part. incapsulating me. I am forever changed and so no, they are not wounds... they are part of my DNA. They are integral to feel. As much as I may not want to, these will build me to be who I have yet to become. In the meantime, leave me to rage clean and work my shit out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closer to the truth

Emotional work and christmas diatribes

finding out I am an IVF baby.